RETOSA: Regional Tourism Organisation Of Southern Africa
PLAN YOUR TRIP INTO SOUTHERN AFRICA
- Southern Africa offers a diversity of travel destinations – with everything from the definitive safari to exquisite hospitality, adrenalin-pumping adventure and unique cuisine. The 15 countries on show at RETOSA offer the best of Africa.
- From diving in the depths of Lake Malawi to conquering Tanzania’s Mount Kilimanjaro, you can be sure that a holiday in Southern Africa is one you won’t forget. Discover the secrets of ancient cultures in Lesotho and Swaziland, watch the sun set from an Angolan beach bar, or bathe in the romance of Mauritius and Madagascar palm-fringed beaches. If a safari is more your style, you will be spoilt for choice – why not track the Big Five on an elephant – back safari in Botswana, or safari in the sky with a hot air balloon in South Africa? Need more action? Namibia’s desert is a must for those keen to try sand boarding or dune buggy boarding, or even for those who simply want to take in one of the world’s most starkly beautiful landscapes. Whether in Zambia or Zimbabwe, you will be absorbed by one of the most spectacular wonders of the world – Victoria Falls. Wherever you decide to go, you will encounter the warmth and spirit of the African people. Let your journey begin…
- Welcome to Southern Africa! One of the most beautiful, exotic and diverse destinations in the world where you can do all this and more. Whether your interest lies in adventure, animals, culture or cuisine, the Southern African region, with its varied tapestry of landscapes, has something for every traveller. The Southern African region comprising of Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe, offers unbeatable holiday experiences. From indulging in mountains of peri-peri prawns on a golden Mozambican beach to trailing gorillas in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Imagine falling asleep to the sounds of the bush, the roar of the hungry lion, or the high-pitched giggle of a hyena echoing in your ears. Lazing by the azure blue waters of a tropical island paradise. Even better, exploring the hustle and bustle of a traditional market, where cultures long gone live on in the customs of today. Experiencing some of the wonders of the world or visiting some world heritage sites.
Neighbouring countries: DRC, Zambia, Namibia and Republic of Congo
Major activities: Beaches and water sports in Luanda; game viewing, bird watching and river cruises in the Kissama National Park; climbing the Tunda-Vala volcanic fissure; driving the Leba Pass; photographing the dunes in the Iona National Park; and many more.
Neighbouring countries: South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Zambia
Major activities: Water safaris, walking and elephant-back safaris, and game-viewing by aircraft/helicopter in the Okavango Delta; 4×4 wilderness travelling in the Central Kalahari Game Reserve; and many moreMALAWI
Neighbouring countries: Zambia, Tanzania and Mozambique
Major activities: Kayaking, snorkelling and scuba-diving off the pristine beaches of Lake Malawi; horse-back safaris in Nyika National Park; exploring the Chongoni rock art; climbing Mount Mulanje; and many more
Major activities: Snorkelling, scuba diving and ‘undersea strolls’; water sports such as kayaking, jet skiing, parasailing and windsurfing; hiking in the Black River Gorges National Park; visiting Le Morne Brabant; and many more
Neighbouring countries: South Africa, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and Malawi
Major activities: Kayaking, sailing, dhow trips and snorkelling; visiting the Bazaruto Marine Park and the historical Ilha de Mozambique; game viewing and bird watching in the Gorongosa National Park; and many more
Neighbouring countries: South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Angola
Major activities: Taking a balloon ride over the dunes of Sossusvlei; hiking in the Fish River Canyon; flying over the the Skeleton Coast; taking a safari in the Etosha National Park; and many more
Major activities: Glass-bottom boating; water sports such as snorkelling, sailing or surfing; island-hopping; visiting natural reserves and marine parks; horse-ridin
Neighbouring countries: South Africa and Mozambique
Major activities: Visiting the Swazi Cultural Village and the King Sobhuza II Memorial Park; horse-back safaris and guided walks in the Hlane Royal National Park; hiking in the The Malolotja Nature Reserve; and many more
Neighbouring countries: Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, the DRC, Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique
Major activities: Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro; visiting Zanzibar; game viewing and bird watching in the Serengeti; visiting the Ngorogoro Crater; taking a boat trip on Lake Victoria; and many more.
Neighbouring countries: Tanzania, the DRC, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and Angola
Major activities: Scenic flights over the Victoria Falls; swimming in the Devil’s Pool above the falls; white-water rafting and other water sports; river cruises; elephant-back rides; walking with lions, game drives in the Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park; walking safaris in the South Luangwa National Park; and many more
Neighbouring countries: South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and Mozambique
Major activities: Flights over the Victoria Falls; sunset cruises on the Zambezi river; bungee jumping off the Victoria Falls Bridge; river rafting and other water sports; swinging through the gorge; elephant-back rides; walking with lions; visiting the Great Zimbabwe National Monument; and many more.
- SOUTH AFRICA
Neighbouring countries: Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland, Zimbabwe and Mozambique
Major activities: Taking a cable car to the top of Table Mountain; game viewing, safaris and bird watching in the Kruger National Park; meandering along the Garden Route; wine-tasting in the wine region; water sports and golfing at the coastal resorts; and many more
- DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO (DRC)
Neighbouring countries: Central African Republic, Sudan, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Zambia, Angola, Republic of Congo and Tanzania
Major activities: Cruising on the Congo River; sight-seeing in Kinshasha; visiting Lake Kivu and the volcanoes of the Virunga mountain range; boating, rafting or hiking through the rainforest; visiting the mountain gorillas; and many more
Neighbouring countries: Surrounded by South Africa
Major activities: Climbing Thaba Bosiu; shopping in Maseru; game viewing, bird watching and pony trekking in the Sehlabathebe National Park; enjoying water sports at the Katse Dam; skiing in the Maloti Mountains; and many more
Major activities: Snorkelling and diving at Ifaty; visiting the lemurs and the Ankarana Reserve; sight-seeing in Antananarivo; and many more